|Image Source: Crisp TV|
Mobile Phones have been extensively used for remaining in contact with others and tabs provide the facility to read e-books, novels and any sort of material at any time and any place. Today, Smartphone is a necessity for everyone. Even a child at the age of 10 wants a Smartphone. It’s only in our hands to be exploited by them or make proper use of them. Studies have shown that almost all college students carry their phones into their classes and this trend has also started in schools. It can be helpful and harmful to them in various ways like:
- Thinking capacity is reduced. These days whatever work is given to the students, they search for it on the internet through their smartphone. They have lost the capacity to think on the topic and write in their own language.
- Lower self-confidence- when students plagiarize they are dependent on the internet completely. They think the materials provided online are better than what they can do. They loose confidence in their work and continue to depend on internet in future also.
- Addiction to smartphone also result in spending much time in chatting on the social websites, watching videos and other documents, playing online games, etc. that are complete waste of time. Once fallen a pray for this, it is very difficult to come back.
- Insomnia – due to the addiction of smartphone many students shorten their sleeping hours. They sit on their laptops or computers, chat, watch videos or play online games till late night. If this continues it leads to insomnia where a person is unable to sleep. This causes mood variations, irritation, lack of concentration, headache n many more diseases.
- Spelling and Grammar- in this generation students are generally using abbreviations and shortcuts to write and communicate. They are communicating thorough text-based symbols and intentionally misspelling words. As a result of this student find difficulty to write formal letters and applications.
- No face to face communication- This leads to stage fear. Students are not able to speak in public.
- Excessive use of these gadgets has exploited them in various different ways. Students need to be focused in their classes and if they have Smartphone with them in their classes, they get distracted a lot as they do not concentrate on what teacher is saying but continue to use their phones and tabs to text messages, play games, watch videos etc. Getting phone calls during classes does not only disturb them but also the whole class and the teacher.
Smartphone in schools and colleges has become a source of malpractice in the exams and quizzes from where they copy answers. They browse web or send text to one another for solution to their tests. In classes instead of listening to the teacher and taking notes, they just record teacher’s voice and take photos of other’s notes. Students are addicted to their Smartphone as even at night they are found texting to their friends due to which they can’t complete their sleep which affects their performance in their class as well as their attendance in classes. This Smartphone texting has also made them much lame and lazy that they use that texting language (like short notations) while writing exams.
False rumors in the schools and colleges spread like a fire through texting, messaging and calling. The mobile phone technology is being indiscriminately put to negative activities as they have ruined the lives of many by vulgar recordings being made, black mailing people and getting people involved into things which they do not choose to. They have invaded other’s privacy by taking pictures and making videos without their permission. Students also disturb teachers by giving blank calls to them and disturbing them unnecessarily.